Sunday, April 19, 2009

April 16th happenings

This is out of order but I didn't have a chance to post on my birthday for those events. It was an odd day with all of us pretty concerned about the long flight home. We started the day with a trip to the toy market. This was pretty remarkable really. With Kai leading the way in decisive fashion we searched through market stuffed animal vendors to look for a "realistic" stuffed animal for him to bring home. We are proud owners of "Whitey" now, a white tiger. He also scored a godzilla like toy who is apparently not really Godzilla as he has but two fingers and the real Godzilla has three. A bag of candy was also scored.

After toy shlepping we were headed toward a cab when I felt a presence close by. I felt a hand venturing into my front pants pocket. Turning my head I saw a guy shadowing my closely trying to pick my pocket. He immediately put his hand in his own pocket and started to pretend to kick rocks and then went behind a truck. He wasn't successful but it was one of those sort of complete your trip experiences. The afternoon found me still looking for Dramamine for Kai and I purchased some carsickness patches in hopes that the plane ride would be easier for him.

Our last dinner was at Lucy's, the Americanized restaurant a short distance from the swan. We ate there a lot as they have grilled cheese sandwiches for Kai. Nothing spectacular about the food but a lovely place to eat outside. We danced to Huey Lewis "Heart of Rock and Roll" once Yun Zhen started grooving to it. Kai and I also danced and then we walked along the river and watched the lights for our last evening in China. Then it was off to pack up for an early flight.

No comments: